Are legacy applications holding you back?
As organizations evolve on their digital journey, many fail to reach their expectations. Often these companies have application portfolios that include custom developed apps and legacy commercial apps that quickly become outdated and cannot continue to support necessary business innovation.
Custom solutions that were originally necessary are no longer relevant, as more flexible functionality exists within newer applications. These legacy solutions pose challenges for your organization.
First, it is difficult to find talent to maintain legacy apps. Newer workforce talent does not understand older code, and often has no desire to learn a non-market skill. Integrations are often troublesome due to instability inherent in older structures. Couple that with the fact that many legacy systems are riddled with security vulnerabilities, and you have a problem worthy of sleepless nights.
So why haven’t these apps been modernized or replaced? Often there is a perceived level of complexity that is not accurate. Perceived uniqueness is also an excuse.
In reality, something must be done before bad things happen
The answer is simple: Modernize your application portfolio stack. You likely already know this. However, many IT Departments find it difficult to redeploy existing staff already working on other key business items. Let SmarTek21 be your partner in Digital Transformation, bringing skills and experience to make this upgrade a success.
What SmarTek21 Does For You
- Help you rationalize your portfolios.
- Business focused solutions in collaboration with your IT organization.
- Refresh/re-factor using a hybrid delivery model to contain your cost.
- Concierge approach: local thought leadership and oversight backed by affordable delivery.
- Planning for transition. Knowledge transfer interwoven in process.
- Aligning future state technology to be supported by your teams.
- Reducing Technical debt: Every new app is done with a high degree of test coverage and industry-standards compliance.
SmarTek21’s Legacy Application Upgrade Process
Review and Rationalize
- Establish a governance body with involved stakeholders.
- Determine if the app is still used.
- Calculate the % of functionality that is still relevant
- Decide if you are better served by COTS/SaaS product.
- Evaluate if the app is completely replaceable or partially replaceable.
- Determine integration requirements up or downstream.
- Evaluate if it’s supportable with existing skill sets.
Design and Plan
- Collaborate to identify go-forward application architecture.
- Plan infrastructure requirements (Cloud / On-Prem / Hybrid.)
- Prioritize portfolio.
- Identify and procure COTS / SaaS products.
- Build product backlog in ALM.
- Pilot COTS / SaaS products.
- Implement infrastructure requirements.
- Build CI/CD pipeline.
- Develop pilot application(s).
- Review outcomes from pilot(s) and refine approach.
Factory Delivery Model
- Onboard SCRUM teams.
- Rebuild apps with full test coverage to modern standards.
- Migrate to COTS / SaaS platforms as required.
- Continually review incremental outcomes with governance body.
- Embed with client tech teams to ensure ongoing KT.
Our History Helping Top Companies with their Digital Transformations
What we did: Application monitoring and performance management.
- Real-time view of 129 apps in their portfolio.
- Problems solved before incidents occurred.
- Restored business trust in IT team.
What we did: Product development for digital music platform.
- 200,00 man-hours of development in 10 months.
- Bleeding edge best of breed technology vision.
- Supported more than one million events per second.
What we did: Application modernization for commercial benefits customers.
- Rebuilt legacy applications on cloud architecture.
- Microservice architecture decoupled components.
- Directly enables acquisition by 3rd parties.