Industry: eCommerce, Legal and Finance
Success Factors: The Whole Customer Experience, Collaboration and Productivity
Amazon Retail Distribution Legal and Financial Leaders sought a better way to manage the volume, timing, and scope of contracts when building new distribution centers. Each center is unique with specific regional requirements, a vast variety of vendor contracts, legalities, and timelines. SmarTek21 brought best-of-breed technology to deliver a leading edge, unified document management solution which streamlined their processes, provided real-time visibility, and increased their organizational capacity to drive efficient and rapid expansion.
SmarTek21 Transforms Amazon Legal and Finance’s Document Management Capabilities and Added Real-time Reporting Capabilities During Unprecedented Time of Rapid Expansion
Amazon Retail Distribution Legal and Finance Group Partners With SmarTek21 to Scale Document Management Solution With Over 20,000 Vendors and Legal Contracts
SmarTek21 delivered value to Amazon’s Retail Distribution Legal and Finance Leaders by:
- Offering real-time visibility to executives on the overall state of Amazon’s investments in their distribution infrastructure reducing key decisions from days to hours
- Reclaiming an average of 2 hours per person per week across both legal and tax groups
- Improving accuracy, reducing more than $10M USD annually in contract terms, fees, and erroneous renewals
- Reduced redundant contracts by 50%, consolidated vendors and improved overall ROI by 200%
Amazon’s Legal and Finance Team had a complicated, multi-platform, legacy process around vendor and document management with vestiges of non-digital paperwork remaining in the workflow. Overall, the existing process had a formative, net-negative impact on the speed of information and communication with internal teams and their customers. Overall the ability to efficiently and accurately meet mission-critical deadlines suffered, resulting in repeated, random missteps to projects; and build timelines suffered.
- Issues indicated that an incomplete view of contract documents through the workflow and non-integrated toolset was hampering legal and financial filings, contracts negotiations and construction management deadlines throughout the project life cycle
- Leaders working to complete projects on a tight timetable continued to stress the current process, which had the potential of costing tens of millions in, overruns and lost business.
SmarTek21 provided Amazon’s Retail Distribution Legal and Finance Leaders with a comprehensive technical and workflow analysis of the legacy processes and architecture. In the process, concerns were validated while new dependencies and risks were discovered accompanied by a set of recommendations.
Our Lead Architect designed and developed a customized interface portal as a POC with the bandwidth to handle a large volume of more than 20,000 vendors and legal contracts with full data integration, enterprise-wide search, and a new taxonomy. Once approved for production release, our on-site Data Engineering and Solutions Teams integrated with Amazon technical leads to execute a unified high-octane Managed Service program.
SmartTek21’s Solutions Engineering Leadership delivered an entirely new system, going live within three months of the approved design.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession over competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are just some of the many innovative products and services pioneered by Amazon.